[mythtv-users] Actisys IR-200L reliability...

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Jul 6 17:18:23 EDT 2003

Sounds like it might be an ir transmission error, just like when using a
remote to change channels but the unit doesn't receive one button
press... clean the receiver and your transmitter, and you might adjust
the distance between them as well.

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the delay between transmissions as
well... perhaps your receiver cannot process fast enough to receive
entries that fast.  Try increasing this delay (I'm not sure how, but I'm
pretty sure it's there in lirc somewhere)

It's a shame that there is no way to get feedback about what channel you
have tuned... but I imagine that is nearly impossible.

You might try and write a script that will change channels repeatedly
and while it's running, adjust blaster placement until it can reliably
tune to the correct channels without fail.

That's the unfortunate disadvantage of a ir control solution... it's not
100% reliable.  Sunlight, and many other things produce enough infrared
light to interfere with transmission.  So you might also take note of
the time's in which this is happening, and see if you can attribute it
to environmental conditions, like sunlight or lights on in the room ect.

Hell... I've seen situations where a good layer of dust has made a
remote act flakey... cleaned the remote and the receiver and it worked
great.

Due to the fact that it's ignoring the second digit in the channel
string (channel 444 tuned to 44 was likely the first and third 4) I'd
bet that your receiver has difficulty receiving as quickly as your
transmitting, so it ignores the second character because it's still
processing the first, it then will catch the third because it is ready
for it by then.  Because this is so intermittent I don't think you need
to increase the delay much, a few millisecs would probably be enough.

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/3680/2002/7/0/9103428/

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=2138;search
_string=%5Bmythtv%5D%20lirc%2C%20Motorola%20DCT2000%20and%20the%20Actisy
s%20IR%20blaster;guest=747108&t=search_engine#2138

Essentially, before you even consider this to be a problem with myth,
make sure that you don't have any problems elsewhere.

Joe