[mythtv-users] Enhancement Suggestions

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Sun Jul 6 09:39:20 EDT 2003

Chris Petersen wrote:

>Though determining what is a movie and what isn't is more
>than just a category

With my category_type patch (checked into CVS by now), it actually is.
zap2it doesn't provide this info, but I added a rudimentary movie
recognition to mythfilldatabase. my German grabber does provide such
info unambiguously, while mythweb's current recognition doesn't work here.

>The main problem with this is that there is no set standard for categories.

I made up the following "category types", based on what my source
provides: "movie", "sports", "tvshow" (soap, talkshow), "series". If you
have any others to add...

BTW: The "category" my source provides is freetext.

XMLTV DTD 0.6 does provide for a way to specify standardized category
systems and the ability to differ between "programme type" (movie,
series) (what I called category_type) and "genre" (drama, action,
thriller). The current "category" is a mix of those (action movie), and
the new DTD will still allow those mixes.

>it's often easier to type something like "tomorrow, 9 pm"
>instead of trying to pick "sun, july 6" in one menu and "21:00" from the
>other. [...] what would people prefer as the default?

Yes, the current system is somewhat slow, but I personally don't like
mouse-keyboard switches at all.