[mythtv-users] Enhancement Suggestions

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Jul 6 00:01:52 EDT 2003

> 1)  In MythWeb, there is the ability to view only movies.  I also know that
> there are other categories available.  So, I suggest that, like my Comcast cable
> box, MythTV could support a "View by Category" option.  UI wise, this could work
> like the the other selection tools, where you are presented with a list of
> categories on the left side of the screen, and upon making a selection, the
> programs matching this criteria would be presented on the right side.

Good idea.  Though determining what is a movie and what isn't is more
than just a category - and really should get enhanced - the ability to
list all "Drama" or all "Sports" would be a decent idea.  The main
problem with this is that there is no set standard for categories.  I
current have a list of 50 or so plugged into my mythweb beta, and I
still find the occasional show that slips through.

Anyway, I'll keep this in mind for when I rewrite the "movies" page.

> 2)  In the Guide, there is no wat to junp quickly from one date/time to another.
>  This capability is in MythWeb, so I suggest that it would be possible to "jump"
> to a date/time with a selection tool similar to what is in MythWeb.

speaking of this, I'm wondering what people are interested in for that
"jump" thing in mythweb.  I just rewrote the project manager we use at
work, and instead of the usual popup menu for date/time selection, I
just used a text field and php's strtotime function that converts from
all kinds of hand-entered date/time functions.  I've been thinking of
this because it's often easier to type something like "tomorrow, 9 pm"
instead of trying to pick "sun, july 6" in one menu and "21:00" from the
other.   I'd of course include support for either because of
themability, but what would people prefer as the default?

> 4)  I don't know if this is even possible, but on a system with a separate
> frontend, I found it impossible to select a recording to view because of the
> preview of the recordings being generated.  Perhaps this could default to off if
> the system is a "remote" front end?

I ran into this problem, too.  You can fix it by mounting (nfs or smb)
the backend's video directory on your frontend box.  really should be
put into the mythtv protocol, though.

-Chris