[mythtv-users] Is there a MythTV ISO image w/ "universal" hardware support?

Calvin Harrigan calvinharrigan at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 4 00:32:34 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 23:05, Vernon Graner wrote:
> Ok, from reading the discussions here, it seems that there are some
> "relatively" standard hardware combinations that seem to function quite
> well with MythTV. However, in all my searching for ground-zero setup
> instructions, it seems that in order to have a MythTV box, you have to be
> able to compile kernels, locate obscure patches, operate CVS, etc.
>
> So, my question is why hasn't anyone created an ISO image of a working
> system, with everything loaded and ready to go? It seems like the natural
> "next step" to make this project available to less tech-skilled people.
> Recently, I used a distro called "Knoppix" that seems to be happy
> wherever  it wakes up... Could something like this be used as a base for
> MythTV?

It's an idea that might be worth exploring, one thing that might cause a
snag is the nvidia license.  I don't think you are allowed to
redistribute the driver.  Most folks that use mythtv tend to use a video
card based on some version the geforce series chipsets.  Knoppix is
pretty amazing, I most certainly wouldn't mind seeing something like
this come to fruition.

--
Calvin Harrigan <calvinharrigan at earthlink.net>