[mythtv-users] MPEG-2 files size

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Thu Jul 3 13:48:15 EDT 2003

> A PVR 250 at 640x480 extremely high, non-variable bit rate... I'd factor
> about 3.9GB/hour. Given how encoding works of course YMMV. You can also
> adjust the PVR 250 to bring these values down (decrease resolution, bit
> rate, etc).

It's all about bitrate.  This goes back to that whole "ton of feathers,
ton of bricks" kind of thing..   a 2000kbps file will be exactly the
same size, whether it's mpeg4, mpeg2 or motion jpeg.  It gets a little
trickier with VBR stuff, but the average still comes into play to
determine the file size.  The advantages of the various formats are
quality of picture to filesize ratios.  mpeg4 supposedly creates better
image quality than mpeg2 or mpeg1 at the same filesize, so a
comparable-quality recording would be smaller.

Either way, ###kbps is going to be about the same size (allowing for
extra header info, etc) no matter which format you're talking about.

-Chris