[mythtv-users] MythWeb feature request, status start page and an a/v streamer

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:37:43 EDT 2003

I've been following up on the progress of MythWeb
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/MythTV_C2/Dev_F10/more_mythweb_updates_P68970/)
& (http://forevermore.net/mythweb.tar.bz2), and I am really impressed. I
don't subscribe to the devel list, so I'm posting these top 3 feature
requests here. I'm very good with html, js, java, and some php so if I can
help I will, just ask.

1. A status start page:
Can you possibly make a status page that is first thing to load when going
to mythweb? Say something that had how many shows where recorded, what is
scheduled to record in the next few hrs, how many hours have been recorded,
how much space is left on the drive with a nice bar graph, etc. I think this
is very important because I find that I don't always want to look at the
listings, and since that is the start page I have to wait for them to load
in which actually takes about 8 seconds off of my server since I am assuming
it has to query mysql. This also results in a lot of CPU usage for me and
will slightly skip my tv if I am watching live (I'm running an AMD 2700XP+
w/ 512MB PC133 so it's not the hardware). A status page could be really
cool! One little thing - The colors of the new listings are quite vivid and
are hard to make out with a white font (aka the bright green and orange), so
just wondering if your planning on fiddiling with those or allowing us to
set that up somewhere?

2. Streaming Webserver
There has been much talk about it, and I want to share my opinion as well
since this really is my number one thing I think should be integrated.
Basicaly, any kind of streaming system tied into mythweb would be awesome,
but it has to work with windows. A .nuv compatible plugin was suggested but
I have never heard of anything, however if it's possible that's cool. I'm
not to informed as to how hard or practical/demanding it is for a computer
to recompress something to stream on the fly, but it can't be that bad. I
think there are two main reasons why having this option would be awesome.
The first would be watching a tv show on the local network here (100/54G
high bandwidth) like in another room that does not have a tv, where a laptop
or desktop could provide a good quality stream. The other would be a low
bandwidth stream for broadband users (personaly I have ~36KB/s = 300kbps for
upload bandwidth) that can give a decent picture but of course not full
screen. This could be accessed anywhere online with a decent connection.
Personaly I would love this for when I travel away from home, want to see if
a show is recording properly or just to have a family member/friend watch a
show they got me to record for them.

3. MythMusic integration with MythWeb
Having access to your home music collection from anywhere in the world would
be amazing. I don't care about visualizations, but just having my playlist
with simple id3 info and a play button would be awesome.