[mythtv-users] RAID Chunk size for Myth

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Thu Jul 3 12:26:50 EDT 2003

I just reworked some of my disk drives, swapping out
a mix-mash of 10k & 7200 SCSI, and an IDE,
for 3 matched 18GB 10K 80MB/Sec drives.  Changing from
Linear RAID to RAID0 as well.  The filesystem is
ext2 with 4k blocks, figured I didn't need the ext3
journaling??  RAID0 chunk size of 32K.  All these
changes seem to have made a dramatic improvement
by reducing skipped frames and increasing overall
CPU utilization and smoothness when recording multiple
streams at once.

Question:  Should I use an even larger chunk size,
64K, 128K?  Theoretically, I would guess the ideal
would be 1/3rd the io size, or at least something
that multiplies evenly to it.

Assume the FS is optimized to only store video files,
no OS or other files.

Ideas?