[mythtv-users] Re: nuv file not found; slow recordings list

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Thu Jul 3 08:46:41 EDT 2003

Ben Bucksch wrote at 2003-05-18:

> I can't play an increasing number of recordings. When I select them
> under Watch Recordings and hit Space, nothing happens. No output on
> the console and no change in the UI and no console output on the
> server, not even in verbose mode. After a long time (about 10
> minutes), the frontend says e.g.
> Error: myth://192.168.1.2/9_20030516221500_20030517012500.nuv file not
> found
> However, the file *is* there on the server in the usual recording dir.
> I can play about half of the recordings, so it's not a general problem
> either (misconfigured dir etc.). [...] I haven't seen a pattern which
> recordings play and which don't.

And:

> I forgot that the backend consumes 99% CPU.
>
> I just tried with 0.8 (backend and frontend) and it's the same
> problem. I tried (temporarily) purging the recordedmarkup column, in
> case that's related, but that had no effect either.
>
> Some of the files which now don't play anymore did play before (but I
> didn't watch them to the end).

Meanwhile, the "file not found" problem got worse to the point where no
recording was found anymore, and I fixed that. IIRC by completely
rebuilding from scratch, purging all old installed program files,
reinstalling, all that on both client and server. I am now pretty sure
that I am running the exact same version on both server and client.

However, the problem of playback not reacting for some files is still
there. If I select a recording for playback on the remote frontend, the
frontend freezes (no output on the console), the backend uses 95-99%
CPU, for 5-15 minutes. After that, most files suddenly start to play
(with the usual output on the frontend's console), and all seems fine.
If I exit out of the playback via ESC, the frontend freezes, but I'm not
sure, if that is true for all problematic files.

A seemingly random number of recordings will show the problem,
reproducably, i.e. once a recording exhibits the problem, it always
does, even if it previously started to play after the delay. I see the
problem for old files (although I ran mythcommflag (without options) in
the meantime) as well as completely new files which I never played
before (e.g. Andromeda from yesterday). *All* episodes of Andromeda as
well as some movies show the problem, but I don't remember seeing it
with Star Trek (any series) or Stargate. A movie which previously didn't
have the problem just started having it. I can't see any pattern in the
recordings - it's not the channel or length. I thought the umlauts in
the description might be the problem, but it doesn't seem to be the
reason either, esp. given that the one movie suddenly starts to exhibit
the bug.

When I wrote the first post about this, I could work around the problem
by creating a simple, fake recording entry in the recorded table and
manually symlinking the file to-be-played to the filename matching the
fake entry, so it seems that it's not a corrected file either. Back
then, I also tried to remove all relevant entries in recordedmarkup, but
that didn't help either. It's over a month ago, though, so I'll retry
these again next chance.

Any ideas what could be the cause and how I could frame the problem?

Ben