[mythtv-users] unique recording scheduling problem/scenario

Stephen Mathezer mathezer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 18:08:52 EDT 2003

I have run across a weird permutation of trying to schedule recordings.
I am into bicycle racing and therefore want to record the Tour de
France.  As it happens, OLN is showing the race twice a day, usually at
7am live and at 8:30pm a taped showing of the same thing (although even
these times vary).  The title of the program is always "Bicycle Racing"

I have been unable to find a clean way of, say, recording all of the 7am
shows which will be on each day for three weeks. There is no "record
this program *every day* in this time slot". I don't want to record every
showing of this program of course since I'll get two of everything.

Even if I try to schedule my recordings one by one, at least with MythWeb,
when you say record only this instance of a program, it goes back and
deletes all other scheduled recordings of the same name. I haven't tried
this with the EPG yet, but I would expect the same sort of behaviour.

For now I have just commented out the call to 'dontRecord' in
'recordOnce' and that at least lets me schedule all the recordings one
by one.  I suppose I could go and add them to the database manually too.

One fix to the recordOnce problem would be to also check
day_of_week/description/subtitle when checking whether to delete a
pre-existing scheduled recording. Otherwise a 'record this channel every
day at this time' may be useful. As would a 'record this program
whenever it is on a) this channel b) between these hours c) contains
this string in the description ... or some combination of those.

At any rate, I'm not submitting a patch because I know mythWeb is being
reworked and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on the 'right'
way of handling something like this. I may try and come up with
something that at least checks description in 'dontRecord' but that
won't happen until next week at least.

Anyways, just thought I'd mention this to see what everyone else thinks.

-Steve