[mythtv-users] G400 TV - Capture and TvOut

Bill Peck bpeck at pecknet.com
Wed Jul 2 10:49:43 EDT 2003

Hello Myth Users..

Here is my experience so far:

I can get tv out to work via the following:

matroxset -f /dev/fb1 -m 0
matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -m 3
matroxset -f /dev/fb0 -o 1 2

fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -left 40 -right -78 -upper 47 -lower 6

This will fill my screen completely on the TV.

Problem number 1:  Though this fills the screen I can't get xv output on the
right side of the screen, I end up with a vertical black bar.  I'm sure its
because I'm using the -right -78.  If I use -right 0 I don't get the black bar
but I also don't get the image to go all the way to the right. If I don't use xv
the output will go all the way to the right, in fact the desktop has no problem.

So I may be able to live with problem 1 if I can get decent performance without
xv scaling.

Problem number 2:  I downloaded mgavideo-0.1.0.  When I load the capture modules
it seems to conflict with the framebuffer modules.  Which I can understand
because if I bring the system up without the framebuffer setup and load the
mgavideo modules and bring up xawtv I see the tv output on the tv as well as in
the xawtv screen.  I can't seem to find any info in the mgavideo stuff to turn
off this tv passthrough option.  Maybe if I can turn that off it won't conflict
with the framebuffer going to the tv out.

I have tried installing Matrox's closed source driver which is supposed to have
tv out support for the G400-tv but it just flashes the tv a couple of times
during X starting and nothing comes out.

Anybody have a working capture/TV Out with the Matrox G400 tv?