[mythtv-users] GentooX and MythTV 0.10 (trying to get my frontend working for weeks...)

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Jul 1 23:09:29 EDT 2003

At 11:36 PM 7/1/2003 -0400, John Klimek wrote:
>I've been trying for several weeks now to get my frontend working properly.
>
>My frontend runs GentooX (X-Box version of Gentoo) and it works perfect
>except when I go to watch any video.
>
>When I select "Watch Live TV" my screen will turn black and I won't get
>anything displayed.  The frontend will then lockup (no buttons will work),
>except that I know my system isn't locked up completely because I can SSH in
>and shut it down.  So, only the mythfrontend is locking up.
>
>I get the same problem when I go to watch a previously recorded program.
>When I select "Watch Recorded Program" I can see all the programs I've
>recorded and I even get to watch the thumbnail/preview movie in the corner.
>However, once I select a program to watch I get the same thing as when I
>watch live tv:  the entire screen turns black and the frontend locks up (not
>the entire machine, just the program).
>
>Does anybody else have this problem?  I'm SOO close to getting this to work
>and this is the very last thing I have to iron out.

There is not enough here to diagnose the problem (though the suggestion
someone else offered aqbout audio being a problem is a good guess). To get
some diagnostic information about what is going on, set up your system so
you are starting mythfrontend from an xterm, then switch to it when the
system hangs (this may be tricky to do, depending on the details of how to
run X on an Xbox system). This way, you can see what mythfrontend is
writing to STDERR. Or you can redirect STDOUT and STDERR to a file and look
at it (vis ssh) after the mythfrontend hang.