[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.10 Not found?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Jul 1 21:18:31 EDT 2003

At 10:56 PM 7/1/2003 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>On Tuesday 01 July 2003 10:38 pm, Dane Kantner wrote:
> > The newest version is 0.10?   Doesn't that somehow seem lower than 0.9.1?
>
>1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>
>Hmm...  seems higher to me.

Depends on how you read it, of course. Myth version numbers *look* like
decimal numbers, in which case 0.10 < 0.9 . If I rewrote your sequence
above as

0.1  0.2  0.3  0.4  0.5  0.6  0.7  0.8  0.9  0.10

(which more closely resembles MythTV's numbering than your example does),
it would not be at all apparent that the last number on the list was
"higher'" than earlier values.

But there is also a convention of *not* reading app version numbers as
decimal numbers, though that convention is most often followed when more
than two levels of numbering are present (no one ever says that kernel
2.4.18 is "lower" than 2.4.8, for example).

Realistically, any 2-level numbering system is going to have this sort of
ambiguity about it, unless you plan far enough ahead to start your numbers
at 0.01 instead of 0.1. Or perhaps you should call today's update 0.10.0,
to emphasize that the . does not indicate a decimal reading of the number.