[mythtv-users]Still cannot get ALSA working w/Soundblaster Live on Debian

Mike Miller miller44 at optonline.net
Tue Jul 1 23:41:42 EDT 2003

Im running debian woody, im using a soundblaster live, now I know there
are people here, probably lots, who have this card and have it working
so hopefully someone can help.  My first problem was I had a problem
compiling the alsa-drivers, I downloaded alsa-driver .9.4, the lib, and
utils too.  I go to compile it, driver first, I untar, then I run
configure
debian:~/downloads/alsa-driver-0.9.4# ./configure
--with-kernel=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.16 --with-card=emu10k1
--with-sequencer=yes --with-isapnp=no
that completes, then I go to run make and I get this error
make[2]: Entering directory
`/root/downloads/alsa-driver-0.9.4/drivers/vx'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/downloads/alsa-driver-0.9.4/drivers/vx'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/downloads/alsa-driver-0.9.4/drivers'
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/downloads/alsa-driver-0.9.4/isa'
make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/downloads/alsa-driver-0.9.4/isa'
make: *** [compile] Error 1

what I then tried was make -ignore which basically ignored the error,
this seemed to work, then I installed it, then I configured, make,
installed the other lib and utils, no problems there.  Then I ran
./snddevices, then I tried to run modprobe snd-emu10k1;modprobe
snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss, however I got
the error
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-emu10k1
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-pcm-oss
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-mixer-oss
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-seq-oss
Then I vi /etc/modutils/alsa and pasted
        # ALSA portion
        alias char-major-116 snd
        alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
        # module options should go here

        # OSS/Free portion
        alias char-major-14 soundcore
        alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

        # card #1
        alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
        alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
        alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
        alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
        alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

in there
then I ran update-modules
then I ran the run modprobe snd-emu10k1;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe
snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss but I got the same errors
finally I tried restarting the driver
debian:~/downloads/alsa-utils-0.9.4# /etc/init.d/alsa restart
ALSA driver isn't running.
Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module
snd
 failed.

That is weird b/c its not detecting the alsa driver version even which
is weird.
At any rate im throrougly confused/stumped, and im really at a
standstill, want to get mythtv to work eventually but cant get past this
part right now.
Any help/ideas are much appreciated.
Thanks