[mythtv-users] XMLTV is Broken in North America

mojo mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Tue Jul 1 18:48:29 EDT 2003

nah... what we would basically need is just something along the lines of
an XMLTV-Daemon... a server process that would collect and update the
data from distributed sources and perhaps peers.. since this is XML data
we are talking about the "server process" would need to be little more
than the data posted on a webpage in such a format as to be readable by
other "daemon processes" the real trick is it would require some kind of
tracker somewhere to monitor all that mess... too much to ask for a mere
distributed tv listings system... heh... kinda crazy to even think about.

as i think about it though... its very unreasonable to devise such a
system... in order to distribute that data usefully each person would
have to pull all the listings for all the towns where as right now
clients just obtain exactly the listings they need...

maybe we should snag the xmltv source and start tinkering with it...
make a MythXML release then we could consider some add-ons and other
means of distributing/sharing data... etc. etc.

personally i'd be surprised if that first step even gets taken, because
as soon as a patch comes out and we start getting our listings again
nobody's gonna care anymore... if i could code i would already be trying
to patch xmltv but alas its all i can do to setup a working myth install.

Sean.