[mythtv-users] Remote w/ dual-headed MythTV?

Jason Lowdermilk lowdermilk at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 12:07:25 EDT 2003

Has anyone come up with an elegant solution for using a remote with
MythTV in a dual-headed environment?  I'm running MythTV on one head
(the TV) while displaying a desktop on another head (the monitor), and
for the most part it works fine.

The main problem is this: once I bring up Myth on the TV and switch back
to the desktop, the remote control stops working because Myth no longer
has focus. However, if I edit my .lircrc and change "CurrentWindow" to
"mythfrontend" everywhere, then I can navigate around Myth using the
remote while the desktop has focus. But, once I enter one of the myth
modules such as MythWeather or start watching TV, then mythfrontend is
no longer the "right" window to send events to, and the remote stops
working again.

I can envision a kludgy solution involving different .lircrc files for
each module and having the frontend restart lircd with a different config
file as each module is entered/exited, but surely there's a more elegant
way... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason