[mythtv-users] another mythencode.pl error

Rob Snow lists at dympna.com
Tue Jul 1 01:10:16 EDT 2003

Well, I think we agree that the entire mencoder re-encoding process is the
wrong way to do it, but it's all we have currently.  What I'd really like
someone with about 100x more A/V streams experience to do is take the MPEG4
frames and MP3 out of .nuv and pop them over into an .avi container with a
proper .avi format.  That would make me VERY happy as we'd only be encoding
once and I could just make my Default profile do something that was
watchable AND archivable/transferable with only a container switch.
(320x240 at 235MB/hr or 350MB/hr for 2 or 3 hr per 700MB CD)

Imagine a mencoder -oac copy -oav copy -makeaviproper and you see what I'm
wishing for, 1000fps, no additional loss of quality, mostly an I/O issue
rather than a CPU issue.

Alas, it's way out of my ability.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:00:38 -0500, mojo wrote
> i have come really close with a few of my mencoder runs... i am
> pretty picky... several times i've had usable files but quality was low...
> its all the ones with out-of-sync audio that puzzled me...
>
> my best run was i think actually a 3-pass encode i did loosely
> following the mencoder docs guide for 3 pass.. had to add -idx and
> lavcdeint of course... cant remember if i did that on both 2nd and
> 3rd pass.. i think i did... resulting file was well-synced but i
> ditched it because the bit/pixel ratio came out too low and the
> video was grainy when full screened on my 1280x1024 desktop... i
> think part of my problem is that i record straight to mpeg4 not with
> rtjpeg which is what i think most people are doing...
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. noticed the fix in CVS ;-)
>
> Rob Snow wrote:
>
> > I agree is seems counter productive to do the deinterlace twice,
> > but..again..I couldn't get a clear answer on if this was required or
not, so
> > I erred on the side of caution and did them the same.  By the way, the
> > .avi's produced by this don't always work with Windows.  I have no idea
why
> > and it seems to happen regardless of the patch version/mencoder version
> > used.
> >
> > I really hope we get a -real- way to transcode soon instead of my hack.
My
> > wife and I like to pop a few shows on our laptops for when we travel and
my
> > parents like to be able to schedule to record something when they are
> > traveling and be able to watch it when they return.  Of course all of
this
> > is done on Windows boxen, hence the hack of mythencode.pl.
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> > On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:02:01 -0500, mOjO wrote
> >
> >>what about the de-interlace option?  is it really necessary to
> >>perform that twice? could it be harmful to do that twice?
> >>
> >>the mplayer documentation is nice but if it answered all my
> >>questions it would be 5x longer!!  haha...
> >>
> >>mOjO
> >>
> >>p.s. i guess this transcoding stuff is coming out soon so this may
> >>all be a moot point...

> > soon

> > going

> > pass