[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

Micah Morton micah at oregontech.net
Fri Feb 28 19:55:03 UTC 2003

Agree'd... I,in NO way want to get rid of MythTV as an application, but
instead would like to offer it along side <insert your favorite distro
here>. I REALLY discourage people from creating their own completely
custom distro.  An easier, more effective way of doing this would be to
hack apart an existing distro, pull out the stuff you don't need, insert
the stuff you do... and maintaining a distro like that would be effortless
as the original distro's packages and libraries would work on it assuming
you didn't screw with any of the distro's structure.

Hence, if we hacked apart debian and make DebianTV or whatever, obviously
.deb packages and apt-get would work just fine on it and upgrading, adding
and deleting packages would be as easy as it would on debian.

Same applies for gentoo.

--Micah Morton