[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

usenet at wingert.org usenet at wingert.org
Fri Feb 28 19:38:29 UTC 2003

Your points are all very valid.  I don't think the point is to emulate
Redhat/Debian/Slackware.

My point would be to make a targeted distribution for a specific piece of
hardware (in my case a sufficiently powered ITX board, which we do not
have today, hopefully April).

My goal is world domination of an open sourced Linux-based PVR.  :)  I
want to see an open sourced PVR win the PVR wars and not have to sucumb
to mediocre hacks on some proprietary piece of hardware (TiVo/Replay/Media
Center).

I think it would be very cool for say idotpc.com to sell a mythtv based
ITX PVR COTS (ala Lindows)...  and I am sure it will be coming.

I am sure there are many resellers waiting for this product (or FreeVo)
to mature.

IMHO, the only major component missing is a cheap hardware based MPEG2
encoder with Linux driver support.  I think that is coming too (hopefully
the PVR-250).

Snapstream has made a pretty good business on the PVR.

Maybe I'm just dreaming.