[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

Ken VanDine ken at bizrace.com
Fri Feb 28 17:48:08 UTC 2003

I am for this too.  I would love to have a small, light weight install for my
media center.  I do not have a need for a desktop attacehd to my 61 inch TV :-)

My vote would be to base it on gentoo and create a "live cd" for the install.
Nothing to compile.

--Ken

Quoting Micah Morton <micah at oregontech.net>:

> I'm voting we all get together and make a MythOS distro of linux. :) It
> would be everything we want, and nothing we dont. :) Who's with me!?
>
> --Micah
>

> > I am in the process of booting MythTV on a Mini-ITX with Compact Flash
> > boot drive.
> >
> > I have Linux in about 20 MB (with ssh/nfs and a whole bunch of other
> > stuff). I have X in about another 30 MB (probably much less with a
> > cramfs).
> >
> > Boot time is really fast.
> >
> > The only problem I have had is minimizing QT and MySQL, they are both
> > nasty disk size pigs.  QT does something funky stuff loading the MySQL
> > libraries.
> >
> > The last error I am able to debug is a relocation error on a MySQL
> > library (I assume from QT).
> >
> > Has anyone seen this error?  Or better yet has anyone tried to minimize
> > a distribution, so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.
> >
> > Second question, is MySQL really necessary?  I really question the need
> > for a database with today's processor.  The bloat of code vs the "time
> > savings".  With work projects, I always wonder if a flat text file isn't
> > sufficent (hell we aren't cataloging Walmart's inventory).
> >
> > Thanks for any pointers

Ken VanDine
biZrace Inc.
http://www.biZrace.com