[mythtv-users] TV Sound

Drew Lenze ajlenze at clarkhome.org
Fri Feb 21 18:11:07 UTC 2003

Choosing the "right" tuner card certainly must be an important issue.
Even for simpler "garden variety" (office type, general purpose)
computers strange problems can develop with hardware mixing and
matching.  But, for me, what I did was refer to the
http://www.goldfish.org/~mcooper/pvrhw/stats.html site.  Listed at the
top is the TV Wonder.  Hauppage doesn't even show up in the top 5.  So I
avoided the Hauppage entirely.

As a newbie I'm clueless about alot of these techonolgies - high
performance graphics, cpu's, tuners, ir devices... So much has changed
over the years (from the old z80 days).  It's still difficult to read
through even this group and sort the chaff from the jewels.  I've
finally settled on a Leadtech TV2000.  Why?  because someone else said
it worked for them.  Mine isn't here yet.  I'm keeping my fingers
crossed.  I have *no clue* if it's going to work at all.

What I'm going to try to do, in my
http://www.lorimarksolutions.com/MythTv/Marks_LinTV_Project.html
project, is try to make some logical sense of all the components
(software and hardware) block them out, explain them if I can, and,
hopefully have some steering for those looking to get started on their own.

I had never considered heat issues as it pertains to cpu's and
performance and dropping frames.  I never heard of anything that shuts
components of the cpu down if it detects that it's overheating.  I think
that's pretty neat and I'm going to try to learn more about that as
well, because I notice that when I get into the bios on my via epia-m
board, it has a screen where it will indicate the fan rpm, and cpu
temperatures.  That's cool.  Does anyone happen to know how to get at
those kinds of values from Linux?

But, things like that, cpu temp, are the kinds of things I'm going to
try to cover in that page I'm working on.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for the great project.