[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Xvideo?

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Thu Feb 20 08:26:20 UTC 2003

At 19-2-03 18:39, Larry Matter wrote:
> > Very untechnical explanation:
 > Thanks.  I don't mind technical btw, if you don't mind typing it.  I'm
>trying to learn all about this stuff.
I did mind typing it :-) Is very long story if you really want to get all
the details right, just google around and read up on broadcast quality
video, de-interlacing and such. Unfortunately no single place has all the
answers, but you could start at http://www.epanorama.net/links/video.html

> > Framebuffer.
> >
> > Will be offered in the medium-distant future when the new output widget
> > is  in place, which I am writing to support runtime configurable
> > keybindings.  (For the logic between that connection read the source of
> > MythTV and QT :-)
>
>Cool!  I'm willing to help, but as you have guessed, I am not experienced
>in this area.  However, if you need someone else to try stuff, let me
>know.     And yes, I plan on diving into the source soon.

I'm afraid this is more of a "it just works or is just doesn't" issues.
<frustrated ranting>
At the moment I am fighting the eventhandling of QT, het lower level widget
stuff is not multi-threading resistant even if you use the qt-mt lib, and
Isaac really tricked the QT lib into dancing his way. Unfortunately this
means the videowindow gets instantiated outside the main thread, which is
illegal if it is going to be a QT-widget.
</frustrated ranting>

If you could follow the above, mail me privately for some backgroudtalk, if
not, just believe me when I say it sucks :-) But not all of the source is
this complicated, so don't let me scare you from diving in.

Erik