[mythtv-users] MythTV on RedHat 8.0

Mark Petryk mark at lorimarksolutions.com
Sun Feb 16 17:03:47 UTC 2003

Like others on the list, my setup fails with the error:

[stu at localhost setup]$ ./setup
couldn't open db

This is what my database looks like:
[stu at localhost setup]$ mysql -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg

Your MySQL connection id is 35 to server version: 3.23.55-Max

mysql> show tables
    -> ;
+----------------------------+
| Tables_in_mythconverg      |
+----------------------------+
| allrecord                  |
| capturecard                |
| cardinput                  |
| channel                    |
| conflictresolutionany      |
| conflictresolutionoverride |
| conflictresolutionsingle   |
| oldrecorded                |
| program                    |
| recorded                   |
| settings                   |
| singlerecord               |
| timeslotrecord             |
| videosource                |
+----------------------------+
14 rows in set (0.00 sec)

This is what my mysql.txt looks like:
[stu at localhost setup]$ cat /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
str DBHostName=localhost
str DBUserName=mythtv
str DBPassword=mythtv
str DBName=mythconverg

I have set up a root password for mysql (is it supposed to be anything
in particular??).
I am running Mandrake 9.0
Qt 3.1.1 configured with -thread and -qt-sql-mysql
I've been trying to iron out this whole thing for a few days and I just
about have given up on my tv tuner card. (averTv desktop tv pvr). I sure
appreciate any help anyone could give me.

On weird note: In the process of setting this up, the setup program
initially ran, and mythfilldatabase --manual would run xmltv, which
would get all the channels, print a happy success message and then Seg
fault. (actually I'm assumming it seg faulted because it couldn't open
the database then too). But I would be happy to get back to this problem
by at least getting setup to run.

By the way I know a little postgres, but have never worked with MySql
before. This is probably an obvious newbie error or something.

Stuart Smith