[mythtv-users] TiVo remote... what receiver?

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Thu Feb 13 07:43:15 UTC 2003

> There is a parts list for the universal infrared receiver with Radio
> Shack
> parts on the lirc-list.  Is this old/outdated?  Here's what I found
> there
> (and was going to try and buy):
>
> Radio Shack Part #
>  Amount	#	description	Part #
>   1	DET1	IR Module	276-137		$3.79
>   1	IC1	7805 Regulator	276-1770	                $1.49
>   1 	C1	4.7uf Capacitor	 272-1024                 $0.79
>   1	D1	914/4148 Diode	276-1122                 $1.29
>   1	R1	4.7k Resistor	271-1330                 $0.69
>   1	DSUB1	Metalized Hood	276-1537                 $1.99
>   1	DSUB2	Metalized Hood	276-1537                 $1.99
>   1	---	this 9 Pin D-Sub	276-1472 (crimp)	$1.49
>   1	---	 or this D-Sub	276-1538 (solder)    $1.49
>   1	---	Serial Cable	old mouse cable	$0.00
>  		Total Cost (minus taxes)
> $13.52

Here is my revised version.

>   1	--- D-Sub Female connector	276-1538 (solder version)
>   1 --- 4.7uf Capacitor	 272-1024
>   1---  914/4148 Diode	276-1122
> 1---	4.7k Resistor	271-1330
>   1	DSUB	Metal Hood	276-1508
>   1	+5VDC 1 amp Voltage Regulator	276-1770
>   1	IR Reciever Module	276-640

The ir reciever module is just the new and improved version of the same
thing. I don't know why there is more than one hood in the original
list, I only used one. I used a metal hood. I read conflicting reports
about whether to use metal or plastic. Metal provides shielding which
is good, but has the potential to short your circuit. I ended up using
metal, and wrapping my circuit very well in electrical tape. Both
individual wires, then the whole shebang before it went into the hood.
I used the solder type female connector, I'm sure the crimp style would
work too. I wanted this to be small, so I spent some effort getting it
all to fit in a hood. If you fashion a bigger case for it the soldering
becomes trivial.

Here is the circuit diagram I used to build mine:
http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/lirc/circuit.html
The color version really contains a lot of info if you don't know how
to read a "real" schematic like me. For instance the color rendering
shows which way the diode goes in there, which side the black stripe on
the capicitor goes to and so on. Look at it carefully and build your
circuit exactly like that pic.  I didn't actually use the rest of his
very nice step-by-step because the radioshack parts are different sizes
and shapes than his. I used the diagram to understand which part had to
connect to which, then fiddled around with the parts before soldering
until I thought I could jam it into the dsub connector. If you have
more questions feel free to ask.

And finally here are a couple of pics of mine:
http://homepage.mac.com/cedarmckay/public/PhotoAlbum5.html

best,

cedar