[mythtv-users] Worlds most craptacular GF card (Hardware Warning)

Rob Snow lists at dympna.com
Thu Feb 13 04:04:50 UTC 2003

I have raid 0 on 4 40 gig drives (160 gig) and I use it for my storage
under Red Hat 8.  I use a seperate drive for the OS.  I can not tell of
any differnece but this could be due to the fact that I already have a
dual cpu setup with 1 gig ram and I think it is running as fast as it
can already.

> That was my suscpicion.  I figured parralelling your drive read/writes
> would speed things up as your head doesn't have to beat itself up trying
> to allocate data.  What about IDE Raid?  Anybody using this setup? If so,
> how is that going for ya?
>
> I was totally considering getting 2 80gig drives and striping them into 1
> 160gig partition.. this would allow for a lot of performance gain... Maybe
> I'll venture into 2 200gig drives.. man.. 400gigs.. drool.. anyways.
>

> --Micah Morton
>

> > Micah Morton wrote:
> >> Now if they were on separate drivers totally, that would make a
> >> difference right?  And how much is gained from having multiple drives?
> >>
> >> --Micah Morton
> >> --Linux Network Test Engineer
> >> --Intel Corp

> > Micah, of course, anything can be taken a step further but
> > at what point does the law of diminishing returns come into
> > effect ;-). Head seeks have the biggest impact on disk
> > access time. Having the recordings on a separate spindle
> > is the biggest performance gain. Putting / and /home on
> > the same disk is a good thing for organization and backups
> > but won't perform any better than if home was in one big
> > root partition.
> >
> > --  bjm

Merle Reine <merle.reine at lindows.com>
Lindows.com Hardware Certification