[mythtv-users] Encoding efficiency decrease with 0.8?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 7 21:07:43 UTC 2003

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:23:09 -0500
"Michael J. Sherman" <msherman at dsbox.com> wrote:

> >>you using alsa or oss? If oss, you might give alsa a shot.
> >>

> > Which soundcard (ie: can it do duplex) ?
> >

> It's just an on-board sound card built into the motherboard.  Everything
> else I use in Linux (xmms, mplayer, xawtv, etc..) seem to have no
> problems.

Most builtin-sound cards are junk (at least my bad experience on 4 boards)

Line-capture quality is very bad as a rule, plus many sound-chip drivers
don't support duplex (simultaneous play/record).  My Fortissimo II is
in a drawer (not in use) since the stupid drivers have issues under
both oss & alsa.  A sign of not supporting duplex is hanging on open
of /dev/dsp in live tv watching.

--
-Monty Walls (mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
-	MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission