[mythtv-users] Streaming Video (not really Myth related)

DBakker at arrayasolutions.com DBakker at arrayasolutions.com
Wed Dec 31 19:15:31 EST 2003

Check out  videolan

Shane Bush <sbush at dbtech.net>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
12/31/2003 02:50 PM
Please respond to
Shane Bush <sbush at dbtech.net>; Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

mythtv-users at mythtv.org
cc

Subject
[mythtv-users] Streaming Video (not really Myth related)

This isn't particularly Myth related, but I figured I'd ask, since you
folks are video inclined.

Does anyone know of a package for Linux that would do streaming in MPEG4,
etc. of a live tv stream (from a video camera)...

Here's the situation...
My wife and I are considering building a daycare center and I want to
stream the video feeds from each room to the 'net so parents can watch
their kids at work/home/wherever.  the securing of the site is no problem,
but I am sketchy on packages available or methods to stream the video...
Somebody please point me in the right direction! :-)

Another question that *is* Myth related (yeah!): Can Myth be set for
continuous recording of a ~30 minute segment of livetv?  Then, at will be
able to start recording that feed and have it include the 30 minutes
prior?  Reasoning: a teacher doing something wrong, child biting another,
child ripping something up, teacher beating a child, etc...

you get the idea... I'd love to be able to go back
30 mins to an hour and see what happened in a room, *and* be able to save
that segment out to disk... Maybe a new feature of Myth?  Might make
commercial folks look seriously at this for security type stuff??
Mindless rambling on my part.. yes.  So on to more rambling. :-)

Here's the setup I am thinking of using, just in case somebody's
interested, which sort of explains the questions above.
Each classroom has a Video camera.  The video feed(s) would be routed via
a 3 way split to the lobby tv's, the manager's office, and the
computer(s)(maybe cluster) running MythTv.  Myth would be used to capture
video from each room. (multiple PVR-250's probably)...  Another box would
be used for Cable to record Blues Clues and other Childrens programs to
feed back to each room's computer and tv/monitor running mythfrontend
only.

Holes in my plot?  Suggestions?  Snide comments about the length of this
mail? :-)

Thnx!

Shane