[mythtv-users] Myth, WinXX Playback & 20 questions

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Wed Dec 31 14:24:01 EST 2003

> > torbjorn> Since the .nuv files is realy just mpeg2 files, you can
> 	    rename them to .mpg instead (but then the extra explorer
> 	    propertypage and the extra columns in explorer will not
> 	    work anymore, they check for .nuv extension) and play them
> 	    like any other mpeg2 file.
>
> Yes, renaming lets me play them in *SOME* decoders - not all. [more
> below] Your program keys off both the FILENAME - [extracting
> DATE/TIME] which it seems to then use to search the database.

Yes, that's the only way to find the recording in the database given a
filename.
The shell column extensions only look at .nuv files for preformance reasons,
if it woud look at all files and you clicked on a directory with many files
it woud have to read every singel file.
(a column extension is global, so it always active no matter what directory
you are browsing)
The propertypage is also connected to the file extension.

> Renaming: YYMMDD....YYMMDD.....nuv -> HumanName.nuv makes your package
> not work. You win and you loose. Hmmm Wonder if there is a way that
> MYTH can insert a 'comment' record or something like that into the
> MPEG data kind of like an "id3" tag for MP3 - that gives the show name
> and that sort of stuff.

Not sure why you woud need somthing like that.

> > torbjorn> Note that windows does not include an mpeg2 decoder filter
> 	    so you have to install one, installing any dvd playback
> 	    program (like powerdvd or windvd) shoud probably work.
>
> Yes, they tend to be able to play the mpeg file quite nicely.
> My goal though - is to hack myth-web "Recorded Shows" so that
> I can click on something that I can play on the PC.
>
> ffmpeg seems to be a solution - it has a video streamer/server and a
> video player.

I did a smal hack to mythweb to add a play link. I used it to test the new
network source filter, it worked realy well, except that zoomplayer that I
use most of the time to play files can't handle url's and neighter coud
mediaplayer classic, so I'm stuck with mplayer2

> Problem becomes - step #1 is a good standalone player that has the
> right look and feel - the only thing that works is WinDVD Creator tool
>
> It's like using a chain-saw instead of table-saw. They both cut wood
> but are used for very different purposes.

The best solution woud be if it worked without renaming the files.
Then the extra columns and propertypage will work and it woudn't matter so
much that the filenames are a bit cryptic since you can always just add the
title column (works in open dialogs too) and figure out what recording it
is.