2.6 kernel WAS: Re: [mythtv-users] Problem getting WinTV 350 working

Gregg Casillo gcasillo at ket.org
Mon Dec 29 21:10:30 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 20:05, Michale wrote:

> At this point, I am willing to try ANYTHING to get me back on track!
>
> I tried covering myself in sheep's blood and baying nekkid at the moon
> last night.

You're supposed to use yak bile. You didn't know?

> On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 19:57, Darrick Hartman wrote:
> > I'll take the link down.  The version of the driver I
> > have patched and available does not work.  Gregg was
> > working with a patched version that seemed to work.
> > After he confirms back that his is not having
> > problems, I'll replace the below mentioned file with a
> > good one.
> >
> > Darrick

Yes, I was able to compile, install, and use the ivtv driver with my
newfangled 2.6.0 kernels with the advice given here:
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=Kernel-2.6.patches

I used the versions mentioned on this page. I grabbed Axboe's source
tarball from here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/ivtv/older/ivtv-031118A.tar.gz

And I grabbed Rob Caeler's patch from here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=73219&atid=537127&file_id=68247&aid=794328

I have three boxes at work using ivtv drivers built from this
combination. Occasionally, the drivers aren't initialized properly, and
I either have to reboot or rmmod the ivtv related modules (i2c_algo_bit,
i2c_core, tuner, videodev, ivtv, saa7115, msp3400) and modprobe ivtv.
These three machines do simple, straightforward capture using "cat
/dev/v4l/video0 > test.mpg". Shows you how sophisticated I am.

I have another machine at home that I'm using as a MythTV box, and it
decided to skip recording of several shows last weekend. I haven't been
home much the last two weeks because of work and Christmas, but I
suspect some of the fault lies with MythTV. I couldn't get 0.13 working,
so I fell back to 0.12.

Hopefully after the first week of January, I'll have some time to
contribute some documenation for all of this. I have a project deadline
on January 7th that I'm scrambling through the holidays to meet, so I'm
too scatterbrained at the moment to be more verbose.

Gregg