[mythtv-users] Initial questions

Antony Gelberg antony at antgel.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 17:24:14 EST 2003

Hi all,

I use Debian unstable on my main workstation.  I'm moving to a new flat
next month, and I want to put some thought into the entertainment aspect.
:)

A friend of mine has a TiVo (rare, and no longer available here in the
UK), and I love it.  Naturally I was pleased to find out about Myth.

As I'm effectively starting with a blank canvas, I was going to look at
a projector and screen, into which I'd plug my DVD player and Sky
Digital box.

My PC hardware is currently in a full tower, as I use the PC for music
recording, but I planned to pull most of it out and put it in a midi tower
(one of those cool ones that wouldn't look out of place _discreetly_
in a living room).  Ideally I'd want a Shuttle case, but they are just
not expandable enough.

I've got a couple of questions at this point:

1. With my current Radeon 9000 Pro (which has DVI), and a PVR-350,
which is the correct output to plug into the projector?  I'm guessing
the PVR-350, but I'm still learning how all these pieces fit together.

2. More importantly, does a Myth box have to be dedicated to the task?
I have a pretty good spec (Athlon 2600, 512MB RAM), so I'm confident
that my hardware is up to running Myth and performing my normal
computing at the same time.  I mean more from a logistical point of
view - e.g. if I want to be working in X with my normal DVI TFT screen,
and my flatmate wants to be using Myth on the projector.

Thanks for your advice - I'm looking forward to this!

Antony