[mythtv-users] Sick over this: XMLTV, documention, perl

Stuart Felenstein stuart4m at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 28 11:47:04 EST 2003

I evidently don't get how to install XMLTV.  I'm running Redhat 9.0. So reading through the myth documentation I see that "atrpms" has all the rpm for XML tv.  Couple of problems though, as it's not really an xmltv.rpm but more forcing you to install apt-get and using that to get the package.  Well first off I installed the atrpms kickstart and ran the upgade and dist commands.  Then it says to get Synaptic.  I don't run Gnome, so fine. I go back to xmltv @ sourceforge and get he pre-req packages, but a few fail make.  I check that I have the right version of make.  Then, on the packages that fail I used cpan.  Finally, on TableMatrix, both sourceforge and cpan won't install.  I give up this frustrating experience and decide to return to atrpms.  The problem here is, well I still get some dependency issues with some of the rpms and have to hunt down the need perl modules from other sites.  Aside from that I am sure something is seriously wrong and being a beginner, I now have
 redundancy with Perl modules.  For exmaple, for Tk I did the install from cpan, yet the rpm's from atrpms didn't see it.  To make the arrpm's install I went ahead and ran the tk.rpm.  All mucked up I'm sure.

Now, I supposedly have all the perl modules loaded ( some twice) and I go back to atrpms for XMLTV, only the one choice I have is to use apt-get again, but it is complaining about dependencies that are not even on the dependency list at atrpms. Now I have the source code from sourceforge but wonder if I compile it which set of perl modules it will see.

I'm not sure if this is a gripe or a plea for help.   If anyone can understand what I'm saying here and can explain to me what happened I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Stuart