[mythtv-users] help me check parts list before I buy...

Malcolm mythtv at lds.dyndns.org
Sat Dec 27 23:18:43 EST 2003

OK I'm but just a few days away from purchasing the parts for my myth box
and I was hoping those who've actually built one could look over it and
make sure I'm doing alright.

Depending on what ever case I end up going with I'm going to have either a
full size MB or a micro-atx.  Board brand doesn't really matter does it?
For the most part all drivers etc. should work.

512 RAM
At least a 2.0 Ghz CPU.  Probably a 2.4 or more depending on price.
Either 80 or 120 Gig drive (not to important now, can always add or
upgrade).
1 x PVR-250
1 x PVR-350
1 x unknown video card with hardware decoding.  I don't plan on using the
350 for play back just yet.  I see to many things on this theard that
don't work right yet.  My plan is to have an easy to use "finished" box
that the kids and wife can all use from remote control with no problem.
So why a 350 you ask?  Well I'll upgrade to using it for TV out at a later
date when drivers are more mature and existing issues have been worked
out.
DVD Burner for dvd playback.  And someday when I'm more familar with
things I'd like to record some stuff from our cam corder to DVD.

Do I also need a sound card even though the 250/350 have sound?

What's a good video card for video playback that doesn't have any issues
or problems?  I see nvidia show up on the list a lot.  Is there a specific
card or model that is good?

Thanks for any and all input.
Malcolm