[mythtv-users] ALSA Problem?

Scott Pouliot spouliot at scpsoftware.net
Wed Dec 24 19:10:25 EST 2003

I've got ALSA up and running...sort of?

If I run:  aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav  then it plays the sound
just fine....which tells me that ALSA is working in some capacity.

However, I get no sound whatsoever in MythTV...except the occasional
crackle.  I have searched high and low for troubleshooting info and found a
few things.  One told me to try using XAWTV muted...and running:  aplay
/dev/dsp.  This only produces MAJOR popping and cracking...along with some
"underrun!!!" errors.  Has anyone run into this before?

I'm running RedHat 9 w/ ALSA 0.9.8 on a linux kernel of 2.4.20-24_31.  BT878
Tuner, and an AC97 sound board (snd-intel8x0).  I have no cable between my
sound card and my tuner at all.  I originally ran one from the Tuner's Line
Out port to my sound card's Line In port...but with that setup I got not
even a crackle...so I removed the cable.

I've been searching for days on this problem...and am no closer to a
solution....and have considerably less hair than when I started.  HELP!

Scott