[mythtv-users] Help / suggestions /: Myth locked up and now ...

Jayson Garrell kyi at kyi.sytes.net
Wed Dec 24 12:05:16 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 17:41, Stuart Felenstein wrote:
>         Not sure what happened, Mythbackend was fine, Mythfrontend
>         going along.  I was in setup screen and everything locked up.
>         No choice, I had to hit the power button (done it before) only
>         this time the system is hosed.  Maybe, so being a linux noob ,
>         maybe someone can give me the skinny on any options at saving
>         my weeks of work.

	First are you sure it was really locked up? I have seen times where,
after defining the video sources, the setup will appear to be hung. When
in reality it is talking to xmltv to get you channel information. If
that is not the case then proceed below.

>         No I do not have a rescue floppy!  The system boots though,
>         but the first indication that something is bad is vgscan no
>         longer sees my logvol (non-root) and a message that says
>         /cat/bin: write error , no space left on disk.

	Probably the easiest thing is if you have a rescue cdrom. Also notice
that the error above says no space left on device, that would cause lots
of problems. If is full that would cause lvm not to be able to register
the device, hence it is not there.

	Boot from a rescue cd, I use gentoo since it comes with all of the lvm
tools on the live cd. Run vgscan, if it complains about the volume group
not being active do...
vgchange -ay your_vg (notice that it's not the full device path just the
vg name). Then do vgscan again followed by vgdisplay, to make sure that
the system sees them. Make a tmp directory some where and mount the
logical volume. Do a 'df -h' to make sure that the volume is acually
full. If it is just delete the files that are causing the problem.

>         Then it gets to the point where you see the text prompt
>         quickly and where X would start.  After that it's just an
>         endless loop of attempting to start X and going back to the
>         prompt quickly.  I haven't been able to stop the attempt at
>         starting X.

That should fix what you are describing. If it does not contact me off
list and I will help further.

Jayson Garrell