[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Ann Patterson annp322 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 24 10:57:24 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 22:33, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2003, at 19:56, Ann Patterson wrote:
>
> > I got a Biostar M7NCG 400 about two weeks ago, and I've spent most of
> > the last two weeks sorting out this problem. The default install of FC1
> > seems to have APIC and APCI enabled, and I had to pass "noapic nolapic
> > pci=npapci" to the kernel to get things stable.
>
> IO-APIC only. The main APIC part is still off by default. I didn't have
> to make any changes to my kernel or pass any special parameters to the
> kernel under either Red Hat Linux 9 or Fedora Core 1 to get a
> rock-solid nForce2 MythTV system (Chaintech 7NIF2 mobo, now running
> FC1/MythTV 0.13).

Ahhh yes, you're right, IO-APIC only. My bad.

The messages on the kernel-list indicate that the source of the problem
seems to be timing issues when the CPU/memory/bus get faster than APIC.
If the overall speed of the machine is above a certain point, then the
problems start. That's why some people have problems and some don't.
Also a good reason why someone putting together a brand new machine
should be aware.

BTW, I really passed "noapic nolapic pci=noacpi" to the kernel. (No
typos this time.)

I would still buy the board, though, despite the problems I had getting
it set up. The sound and video are fine for what I'm using it for.

--Ann P.