[mythtv-users] My MythTV journey

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 24 01:28:56 EST 2003

On Dec 23, 2003, at 17:51, Brian Scully wrote:

> Wow.  This excite email formatter really cranks out some crap.  Let's
> try that again:

Heh...

> B * Upgrade X as far as is reasonable
> J If reasonable means the latest stable version, I agree. (Speaking
> strictly
> J about nForce boards).
>
> Depending on your definition of stable: if you use Debian's - it's not
> quite enough.

Debian is a strange beast... Seventeen-year-long development cycles
between "stable" releases and the installer still bites (not to shabby
w/Progeny's Anaconda port tho :)... Okay, yeah, using Debian's -stable
branch wouldn't be good enough. I get stuck in Red Hat think.

> B if you're not well seasoned, or coming from RedHat/S! uSE like me
> J If you were coming from Red Hat/SuSE, why didn't you stick to one of
> those? My
> J recommendation is generally to use whatever you're most comfortable
> with (as
> J long as it isn't Windows :).
>
> 1) According to the HOWTO, Debian is the recommended compilation
> system.

Isaac runs Debian, yes. The HOWTO doesn't say that it is recommended
though, it says:

"The reference compilation system for MythTV is Debian."

Unless I missed something. The official HOWTO actually aims to be
completely distribution-agnostic.

> 2) I have also heard quite a bit about how good it is at package
> management.

Especially that installer. :) There's apt (and yum) for RPM-based
systems also, shamelessly bitten off Debian, ported by Connectiva to
work with rpms instead of debs. Now there's talk about merging the
two...

> 3) I have in the past been annoyed by RPM

Fair enough. It certainly isn't without issues.

> I see that you're an RHCE and probably very comfortable hacking on
> RH/Fedora.
> Most people on this list probably aren't. KnoppMyth may be a better
> option for them.

I'm very comfortable hacking on any Linux platform (or UNIX, Mac,
Windows...) . I've used just about all the major distributions at one
time or another, but I always come back to Red Hat (but note that my
primary desktop machine is a Mac OS X tower :). Red Hat has the lion's
share of the Linux market for a reason (at least in the US).

I agree, KnoppMyth is a very solid option for the "young", but so is
Fedora/Red Hat. You can install an entire MythTV system using almost
nothing but apt-get, including all the drivers, zero compiling
required. I've been told there's a relatively good walk-through out
there for a Fedora/Red Hat MythTV system... :)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/