[mythtv-users] My MythTV journey

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 24 00:44:32 EST 2003

On Dec 23, 2003, at 20:11, Brian Scully wrote:

>  --- On Tue 12/23, David Rees < drees at greenhydrant.com > wrote:
>
> On Tue, December 23, 2003 at 5:51 pm, Brian Scully wrote:
>>> I'm not sure why swap is being used then. I'm no kernel hacker, but
>>> it
>>> seems strange that you would allow your cache to swap to disk - what
>>> performance benefit are you getting? BTW i'm up to 21 MB of swap
>>> used now.
>
>> Linux will start swapping programs out to disk which haven't been
>> used in
>> a while to make more room for filesystem cache.  Even if you have
>> gigabytes of memory in your machine, if you do a lot of work with
>> large
>> files which exceed the amount of memory in the machine, the kernel
>> will
>> start swapping some things out to improve performance.
>
> Agreed.  Jarod was suggesting that the kernel cached as much as
> possible
> from disk reads to improve performance.

I never said anything at all about the kernel caching disk reads. I
said:

"Linux will use up as much as your memory as it can. 512MB is plenty.
I'm
sitting at a dual Athlon system with 1.5GB of RAM, not doing a huge
amount of
stuff, and there isn't a huge amount of RAM "free". Everything gets
cached to
memory for max performance. Again, 512MB is plenty (though I do
recommend
more than 256MB, to avoid swapping). You aren't short on memory."

Nowhere in there does it say disk reads. :) Stuff that hasn't been
accessed in some time might get swapped out, like David said, but I
think I was misunderstood, and/or I misunderstood your original
question. Long story short, 512MB of RAM is plenty for a MythTV box.

> The swapfile is on the disk.  My
> question was: if it is in fact the kernel's cache that is filling my
> memory,
> Why would the kernel maintain that information on disk to save it from
> being
> read from disk?  That was my original question.

It could be some program that was loaded into memory long ago, and
hasn't been accessed in ages. Storing and fetching a program's memory
out of swap is usually faster than killing and restarting the entire
program.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...