[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Ann Patterson annp322 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 23 22:56:25 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 16:58, David Zanetti wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>
> > Okay, so it seems that half the folks on this list have had no problems
> > with nForce2, and half have had a bear of a time getting things up &
> > running.  I'm in the market for a new mobo, and I'd really like
> > integrated GF4MX, so what's the bottom line?  Should I or shouldn't I?
>
> I can only relay my experiences with the board in the Shuttle SN41G2, but:
>
> - - APIC and Local APIC enabled will result in massive filesystem
> corruption. It's not good enough to pass "noapic" to the kernel, you have
> to compile it all out on 2.4.x. (Other people I know also had to disable
> APIC to get stablity as well, but seems to be a per-board issue..)

I got a Biostar M7NCG 400 about two weeks ago, and I've spent most of
the last two weeks sorting out this problem. The default install of FC1
seems to have APIC and APCI enabled, and I had to pass "noapic nolapic
pci=npapci" to the kernel to get things stable. For 2 days so far,
anyway. There's an email thread about this on the linux-kernel email
list. They're trying to get things sorted out on the 2.6 kernel, but
they're not really there yet.

My personal opinion is that for the money, it isn't bad. But getting it
running and stable isn't really for the faint of heart.

--Ann P.