[mythtv-users] My MythTV journey

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Tue Dec 23 20:58:31 EST 2003

On Tue, December 23, 2003 at 5:51 pm, Brian Scully wrote:

> I'm not sure why swap is being used then. I'm no kernel hacker, but it
> seems
> strange that you would allow your cache to swap to disk - what performance
> benefit are you getting? BTW i'm up to 21 MB of swap used now.

Linux will start swapping programs out to disk which haven't been used in
a while to make more room for filesystem cache.  Even if you have
gigabytes of memory in your machine, if you do a lot of work with large
files which exceed the amount of memory in the machine, the kernel will
start swapping some things out to improve performance.

-Dave