[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 23 16:03:23 EST 2003

> Okay, so it seems that half the folks on this list have had no problems
> with nForce2, and half have had a bear of a time getting things up &
> running.  I'm in the market for a new mobo, and I'd really like
> integrated GF4MX, so what's the bottom line?  Should I or shouldn't I?

I have built two systems with nforce2 mbs and I have had generally good
experiences with both. The key for atleast the short-term is to stick to
the latest 2.4.x kernels. on-board sound is not that great, my one
motherboard audio has background static at high volumes. Also  nvidia
soundstorm is not supported in linux. but if you are going for the onboard
sound go the alsa way.

About integrated GF4MX, they do not
come with integrated tv-out if i'm not mistaken. But if you plan to use a
pvr350, then it should not be a problem.

> Is there a 'best distro' for getting nForce2 playing nice?

i don't think its a distro specific thing, its more kernel specific. I
prefer to use debian here, because i can compile custom kernels in a clean
and simple manner (and tons of other reasons too).

> Do things
> vary much between mobo makers, inasmuch as getting things working under
> Linux is concerned?

i don't think there is much of variation, only what peripherals
(sound/network/gfx) are integrated

renchi