[mythtv-users] Question to all the Hauppauge PVR350 users

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 23 09:55:05 EST 2003

On Monday 22 December 2003 21:00, Robert Krig wrote:
> The pvr350 has a tvout and I read something about framebuffer
> support. Can the tvout of the pvr350 be used to display anything or
> just mpeg2 video? Or in other words, can you use the tvout to display
> the frontend, mythvideo, mythgame, mythgallery,mythmusic, etc. i.e
> can you use it as a standard display device?
>
> What about the live tv possibilities? I mean, I know the pvr350 can
> record tv using its hardware, but can it also play it back? Even at
> the same time? i.e. live tv? What about playing back a already
> recorded show, while the pvr350 still actively records another show?
> Can it do that using its hardware, or will the cpu be used for
> playback?
>
> For anything that I asked, which the pvr350 can NOT do, please state
> if this is a hardware limitation, or if it is just a case of "current
> drivers dont support this feature yet".

The only thing you *can't * currently do on the PVR-350 TV-out is watch
non-MPEG1/2 video content or play accelerated (OpenGL, etc) games.  The
former may be a driver issue; if so it may be addressed in future.  The
latter is simply because the 350 doesn't do OpenGL.  Also, you won't be
able to do PIP or have 'live' previews in your recorded programs
listing.

-JAC