[mythtv-users] pvr350 hardware problem ?

Olivier obrodeur at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 23 03:39:27 EST 2003

Hi,

I have setup my pvr350 yesterday, and managed to get tv-out working, but results are inconsistent from reboot to reboot... Becase of that, I suspect that I am facing a hardware problem with the board, but I'd like to get people's thought about this.

sorry for posting twice about the same problem, but I really need to figure out whether this is a hardware problem or just a configuration problem. If this is a hardware problem, I want to send it back for waranty asap...

Here is the behaviour: After a reboot, it will sometime work and I get tv out, and sometime does not work When it does not work, modprobe ivtv fails with ivtv.o not being able to load.

My modules.conf is included at the end of this email.

Note that I have commented out lirc stuff as I have not bothered installing
it with my pvr350 yet (I have a homebrew one with according drivers).

Also note that when booting, I am getting error with the lm_sensor thing.
Not sure if this is directly related, but when compiling ivtv driver, I have
had to uncomment that define to use new_i2c...

One last note: when linux starts up, there is a message saying: starting
bttv. I had a wintv pci card before, and I am not sure if this is a leftover
component, or if there is also a component called bttv required for the
pvr350... If not, I am not sure where it is comming from because I removed
all references to bttv from my modules.conf...

I am using ivtv from latest tarball, and firmware 21288.

any help much appreciated;
Cheers,
Olivier.

modules.conf:
-----------------
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`

# This is for WinTV PVR-350 IVTV
####alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
###alias char-major-81-1 bttv
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
###add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c ivtv-fb
add above ivtv ivtv-fb
post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -u 0x3000
post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video16 -u 0x3000
post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video32 -u 0x3000
post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video224 -u 0x3000

# ivtv modules setup
###alias char-major-81 videodev
###alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
###options tuner type=2
####options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
####add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

## REMOVE ? This is from previous config. What is bizzare is that
...drivers/media/video path is not in new config...
## For ivtv
## path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/media/video
## For bttv and saa7134
##path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/v4l2

alias eth0 via-rhine
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci

# i2c
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
options i2c-core i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1

# lirc
alias char-major-61 lirc_serial

### remove
## bttv
##alias char-major-81 videodev
##alias char-major-81-0 bttv
##options bttv card=0 pll=0
##options tuner type=2 debug=0
##options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
##post-install bttv modprobe tuner; modprobe videodev

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
## module options should go here

## OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

# and this lines are from modules.conf in distr. of RH 8.0
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
2>&1 || :

Thanks,
Olivier Brodeur