[mythtv-users] DVB Cards?

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Mon Dec 22 21:38:28 EST 2003

On Monday 22 December 2003 11:51 am, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> I think you'll be terribly dissatisfied with DVB service in the US,
> since Dish and DirecTV encrypt their DVB broadcasts and won't let you
> get a CAM card that will allow you to decrypt.  Apparently DVB works
> great in Europe though, and you might be in a fringe area that would let
> you pickup something, but that's a pretty big "might".

I wouldn't count on DVB cards ever working in the USA legally with the
current broadcaster paranoia about digital recording of content.  With that
said, check out dvbn forums, there are people there working on decryption
of US based sources (for testing of course).  It's a pipe dream of mine to
get a couple of DVB-S cards working to receive Dish network programming,
and ditch my two Echostar receivers, that don't work that well anymore anyway.
I'd keep my subscription so Charlie stays in business, but would be able to
direct record like the PVR-250 boys...