[mythtv-users] Decisions, decisions

Bishop bishop at platypus.bc.ca
Mon Dec 22 20:36:57 EST 2003

> Well, I never thought I'd be asking a 'what hardware should I buy'
> question ('cause I didn't think I'd have the budget), but I got a bonus
> this year, so...

We REALLY need a compatibility database.  And a wiki.

> PS- Anyone want to give me tips on how I can run CAT-5 cable from my top
> (2nd) floor to my basement with minimal wall damage?  I'd really like
> to get rid of my wlan dependency.

Yeah.  I ran some cable a bit back, but it depends on how you feel about
running a crossover cable via the internal telephone wiring of your home.
It's either cat3 (6Mbit rated) or cat5, so one can get decent throughput.
In my case, I crossed two pair that ran from the upstairs to the
downstairs via the external, unlocked junction box, Cooked up some trivial
rj11-to-rj45 connectors, and it was a thing of beauty.  The dually face
plates even made the Boss (She Who Must Be Obeyed) pleased.

I cruised past one of the few radio shacks in the world that still do more
than sell phones (you've got questions, we've got cellphones and blank
stares), and noticed CATV/RJ11 dually faceplates.  I think I've just
solved my own "Do I go Wireless or run cable through the house to get
around this wall?" problem.

This was about 6, maybe 7 years back, and America may not use cat3.  Thus,
your mileage (kilometrage?) may vary.