[mythtv-users] Re: ext2 or ext3?

John P. Poet john at BlueSkyTours.com
Mon Dec 22 16:47:28 EST 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Monday 22 December 2003 07:22, martin north wrote:
> > 3 replys, 3 different answers (ext3, xfs, ReiserFS).
>
> Either Reiser or XFS provides better performance than ext3 (and ext2) for
> large files, such as MythTV recordings.
>
> > do any of these 3 (and ext2 for that matter) file systems have and CPU
> > advantages?? I have an epia M-6000 so i need to save every CPU cycle I
> > can...does journalising have a performance impact??
>
> Yes, journaling does require a little bit more processing power, but not a
> huge amount more. I'd say the performance benefits of either Reiser or XFS
> outweigh the very tiny processing hit for journaling. I can't recall offhand
> which of the journaling systems requires the least cpu time, but the amount
> is pretty trivial for all of them. Heck, try 'em all out, see what works best
> for you. :)
>
> (Btw, I use XFS).
>
> - --
> Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Recent kernels also have support for JFS:

http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jfs/

I have been using it with good success.  Journaling is a big win for very
large partitions, if your machine ever crashes.  Without the journing, the
fsck step (to clean up from the crash) can take a very long time.

John