[mythtv-users] Decisions, decisions

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 22 15:04:08 EST 2003

On Monday 22 December 2003 12:43, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2003 08:56, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Well, I never thought I'd be asking a 'what hardware should I buy'
> > question ('cause I didn't think I'd have the budget), but I got a
> > bonus this year, so...
>
> Hooah! Bonuses rock... :)
>
> > I've been running a combined frontend/backend since the 0.7 days on
> > my beige tower, ASUS A7V266 w/Athlon 1600+ XP & WinTV 401 card.
> > Now I have a small budget for some new toys (I got my 2 new M-179s
> > today), and I'm trying to figure out how best to spend it.  I was
> > hoping to do something SFF, probably micro-ATX, but I can't seem to
> > make it work. My limitations:
> >
> > - I need a wireless network solution.  My current Myth box has an
> > 802.11b WLAN PCI card.  Hard wiring is currently not an option, so
> > I'll need either a free PCI slot or an external wlan solution.
>
> I've got a Linksys ethernet to 802.11b adapter that works great, and
> is especially nice, since any device with an ethernet port can use
> it, because it doesn't require any drivers (unlike USB solutions).
>
> > - Ideally, I'd like a 3-tuner backend/frontend combo.  Separating
> > the frontend/backend is really not feasible for me, since I'm
> > limited to 802.11b bandwidth.
>
> Doable.
>
> > - Need onboard firewire, otherwise I'll need another PCI card for
> > my external drive.
>
> Also doable.

Any suggestions for boards w/firewire?  If there are any, NewEgg doesn't
list the capability, making it difficult to comparison shop.  Perhaps a
recommendation for a better shopping site to browse?

> > Since one of my 3 tuners is analog, plus I have a bunch of
> > xvid-encoded movies, and do a fair amount of ripping, transcoding &
> > burning, I think a mini-ITX (VIA Epia, etc) solution is probably
> > inadvisable.  I've looked at the Pundit & Shuttle systems, but none
> > of them have more than 2 PCI slots.  Even if I get an external wlan
> > solution, that would still force me to abandon 1 tuner.  Does
> > anybody know of any micro-ATX solutions (cases or mobos) with more
> > than 2 PCI slots?
>
> Most full micro-ATX boards have four expansion slots. Some have 4 PCI
> slots, while others have 3 PCI and 1 AGP. My Chaintech nForce2 board
> is the latter type. I've got two tuners and an Audigy in mine,
> because I've been too lazy to find the S/PDIF bracket for this board,
> which I'd put covering the unused AGP slot's back panel to make room
> for a 3rd tuner (my pcHDTV card, once it plays nice with the other
> tuners).

Right; I found 'em.  It seems it was just the Pundit/Ideq/Shuttle SFF
boxen that didn't have enough slots.

> > If micro-ATX isn't feasible, I was thinking of going with an Antec
> > Overture case + full ATX mobo.  I was thinking of getting an
> > nForce2 mobo w/on-board GF4MX (my current AGP card is a GF4MX, and
> > it suits me fine, but I'd like to keep it in the current box).
>
> Most of the full ATX nForce2 boards I've seen don't have onboard
> graphics, but many of the micro-ATX ones do.

Just browsing newegg, it looks like a fair percentage of nForce2 boards
have either GF2 or GF4MX on-board.

> > If I have to go
> > this way, I know some people have no problem with nForce2 while
> > others have had trouble getting theirs to work.  Any suggestions on
> > a good full-ATX mobo?  I've seen some folks on the list recommend
> > Chaintech, and I already know to stay away from VIA KT-XXX
> > chipsets.  What mobos/ chipsets are folks with M-179's using?
>
> Chaintech 7NIF2 micro-ATX board with one PVR-250 and one M179. Runs
> flawlessly, and has done so since the day I got it. However, I don't
> think it has onboard firewire. I'd actually probably recommend the
> Asus A7N8X-VM for a micro-ATX board. Again, I believe a full ATX
> board will mean you need another video card...
>
> > Thanks for your indulgence!
> >
> > -JAC
> >
> > PS- Anyone want to give me tips on how I can run CAT-5 cable from
> > my top (2nd) floor to my basement with minimal wall damage?  I'd
> > really like to get rid of my wlan dependency.
>
> Cabling is a nasty bitch (I've had the misfortune of having to do
> lots of it as part of my workload)... There's really no good way to
> get it inside the wall without pulling off some drywall (short of
> having false ceilings, but you don't typically see that in a
> residential building), and then you'll probably still have to drill
> through some 2x4s to get from one level to the next. I'm about to
> have the same problem when I set up my remote frontend upstairs... I
> think I'm just going to go 802.11g though, since costs have come way
> down. Much cheaper and less destructive. :)

Thanks for your input!

-JAC