[mythtv-users] 802.11g router with VPN for wlan

DanM dan at milkcarton.com
Mon Dec 22 14:53:08 EST 2003

Harondel, from what I have heard from people, concrete reduces the
signal considerably.  If you have to go thorough 3 floors, you may need
to get a repeater.

Rather than the straight "G", have you considured the Super G stuff?
D-Link and NetGear use the Atheos Super G chip.  Super G bonds two "g"
channels to give you 108 mbs instead of 54 mbs.

Anyone on the list have any experience with the super G stuff?  Are
their any drivers for it under linux?  How well does the linuxant stuff
work?

-dan

Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> I will be moving soon to a concrete building which will potentially make
> wiring my network up somewhat difficult, particularly for my mythtv box which
> will be on the middle floor while all my networking gear will be on the top
> floor.
>
> I am still looking at doing the cabling between floors anyways however I
> thought I'd look at some wireless options.
>
> 1) How are people finding the signal strength with 802.11g networks where
> multiple levels of a concrete building come into play? In my case there are 3
> levels to the townhouse.
>
> 2) Anyone know of a reasonably priced (say around $300-$400) router that
> supports wireless g speeds, has at least a 4 port 10/100 switch built in and
> MOST IMPORTANTLY, supports hardware vpn tunnels for BOTH the wired and
> wireless lans?  The closest I've found to that so far is the Netgear FVM-318
>
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=159&view=
>
> however it only support 802.11b speeds.
>
> Netgear has this model
>
> http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.asp?prodID=178&view=
>
> but it only supports 2 vpn tunnels. I need to have the ability for at least 7
> concurrent tunnels.
>
> Any other suggestions?

main(){int j=1234;char t[]=":@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.\n",*i=
"iqgbgxmdzlolyb\nu.pax\nlek.n";char *strchr(const char*,int);
while(*i){j+=strchr(t,*i++)-t;j%=sizeof t-1;putchar(t[j]);}return 0;}