[mythtv-users] Decisions, decisions

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 12:26:20 EST 2003

> PS- Anyone want to give me tips on how I can run
CAT-5 cable
> from my top
> (2nd) floor to my basement with minimal wall damage?
 I'd really like
> to get rid of my wlan dependency.

If you have forced air heat, look for a heating
*return* duct
(usually the grills on the wall rather than at the
floor, that
collect dust because air goes in not out) that's a
straight shot.
All return ducts of course go all the way to the
basement, but
some make little jogs between floors.  If you have an
upstairs
wall directly above a downstairs wall, any return duct
on the
upstairs wall almost certainly drops straight to the
basement.
If your ductwork in the basement is made of fiberglass
ductboard
rather than sheet metal, it's extremely easy to poke
holes in
it and to cut out windows that you replace when you're
done.
Just use UL-approved tape (NOT common duct tape) to
re-attach
the cut-out window.  To run through return ducts, you
need to use\
plenum-rated cable, which has a tougher jacket than
the regular
stuff.  They will have all of these things at your
local home
supply megastore.

If you don't have forced air heat, it's a harder job
fishing
wires from a second floor, and very difficult to avoid
cutting
a window in the drywall on the first floor to feed
from there to
the basement.  But patching those holes is not really
so hard.