[mythtv-users] Decisions, decisions

Buchanan, Paul Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com
Mon Dec 22 12:16:37 EST 2003

> PS- Anyone want to give me tips on how I can run CAT-5 cable from my
> top (2nd) floor to my basement with minimal wall damage?  I'd really
> like
> to get rid of my wlan dependency.

I recently did something like this myself.  There are a few tricks that may
or may not work for you.  First of all, take a look at your home's floor
plan and determine if there are any walls that line up from the first and
second floors.  Assuming you have one, there is a tool called a flex bit
that can help you out.  Basically its a drill bit with a 3 - 4 foot flexible
shaft on the end.  You can use this to drill through the baseboards/wall
header without cutting out additional drywall.  Just cut the hole for the
wall plate, and use the flex bit to drill through the floor.  This is a
tricky thing to do if you haven't done it before, so beware that you may end
up drilling through the other side of the wall.

In my case, I had a shaft for the water heater and furnace exhaust that I
could use.  It was in a different room, so I went up into the attic first,
then down through the vent shaft.

Paul