[mythtv-users] Building myth box

Carlos Fernandez Sanz cfs-myth at nisupu.com
Mon Dec 22 05:01:09 EST 2003

Jarod,

All my computers (3) have Zalman based solutions, and I'm very happy with
them, but they are not in the living room, where I'm shooting for a totally
silent solution - so P4 and XP might not be the best thing.

Zalman is going to sell a fanless product for the Via C3. Right now I'm
thinking this: the fastest C3 I can get with the zalman thing, lots of
memory, a PVR 350, plus my current DVB cards, and NO HD (boot from network
or custom live DVD).

Only issue there is whether I can really get away with a slow CPU (ie can I
play every stream with it, as I watch mostly divx). Also, the "living
without HD" is going to be fun to deal with, but given that there's a decent
linux server connected to the network it should be doadable...and finally,
how bad the impact of constant video streaming would be on the network?