[mythtv-users] Requesting help regarding mythtv.org LVM documentation

Romel Llarena rdllarena at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 23:31:19 EST 2003

Just completed a Fedorah Core bare-metal. During the
install process, I selected LVM for an empty
partition. Approx. size is 700 MB.

Next I ran through 22.4 Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
doco found on the mythtv.org site.

It was quite a difficult concept to grasp but after
reading the documentation about 1/2 dozen times I now
understand the advantages. The actual deployment is
another matter.

Following the order outlined by the documentation:

# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take
a while...)
vgscan -- found active volume group "VGforMyth"
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA
backup of your volume group

# fdisk /dev/hda (I skipped this as fdisk ran at
install)

# pvcreate /dev/hda5
pvcreate -- physical volume "/dev/hda5" successfully
created

# vgcreate --name VGforMyth -s 64 /dev/hda5

# vgcreate --name VGforMyth -s 64m /dev/hda5
vgcreate: unrecognized option `--name'

I took a guess and ran

# vgcreate VGforMyth -s 64m /dev/hda5
vgcreate -- INFO: maximum logical volume size is 2
Terabyte
vgcreate -- doing automatic backup of volume group
"VGforMyth"
vgcreate -- volume group "VGforMyth" successfully
created and activated

I then considered the -- to be comments in the
documentation so
# lvcreate video 750 VGforMyth
lvcreate -- please enter either option -l or -L

Didn't work. Next attempt
# lvcreate --name video --size 750 VGforMyth
lvcreate -- only 11 free physical extents in volume
group "VGforMyth"

This stopped me in my tracks. "only 11 free physical
extents", what does that mean? Available size doesn't
appear to be an issue.

Running vgdisplay kicked back the following:
# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name               VGforMyth
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                0
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                1
Act PV                1
VG Size               704 MB
PE Size               64 MB
Total PE              11
Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0
Free  PE / Size       11 / 704 MB
VG UUID
yLlSG8-2SaF-DAck-g7N2-Cz5C-S9HP-1xmfG1

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to get me
through this process?

Thank you.